Recently there was a problem with the wi-fi range extender (to improve the wi-fi signal in the office). Trying to find the manual was difficult so I decided to write it up here with links to the relevant manuals.
The TL-WA850RE Wifi Extender was relatively cheap, although may not be the best one available, and has performed it’s role well since purchased in January 2020 from Amazon at a cost of £27.
This particular model is currently available on Amazon at 12.99 (sigh)
The TL-WA850RE Wi-Fi Booster N300 provides
- 2.4GHz Wi-Fi at speed of 300Mbps
- Manage the network in Tether app
- Ethernet Bridge – 1 * 10/100M Ethernet Port (RJ45)
- An intelligent Signal light shows the best location to install
- Customizing the SSID of the Range extender can be set different to the main router SSID mostly helps distinguish between the main router’s wireless signal to range extender’s wireless signal
and an APP is available to control and configure the device
It’s simple to set up and get working, full instructions are available in the manuals but can simply be done via the WPS button …
1. Press the WPS button on your router
2. Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on the extender for 1 second. The RE LED should
change from blinking to solid on, indicating successful connection.
Full details and functionality is available in the manuals or from the TP-LInk website at
What should I do if my computer is connected to the TL-WA850RE but can’t connect to the Internet?
This is the problem I was seeing and found an answer to the issue in the FAQ document. Downloaded the latest firmware, in case I needed it, but restarting the router and then re-setting the extender seemed to cure the issue.
Firmware dated 23 September 2020 is the latest available from
and is also available at